Utah Electrical Licenses: Master Electricians and State Validity

In part one of this two-part blog series, we went over some basics on the different electrical licenses you might see for an electrician in Utah. This state requires that all electricians, both residential and commercial, carry licensure for any jobs, and there are a few different types or tiers that you might find depending on the job you require.

At Orange Electric, all of our commercial electricians carry full licensure, plus proper insurance coverage to ensure both parties are protected at all times. If you have a need for particular skills that require a higher level of licensure, we have electricians at the ready to meet it. Today’s part two of our series will go over the upper tiers of electrical licensing in Utah, plus a quick word on whether these licenses are valid in other states nearby.

Utah electrical licenses master

Master Electrician

The highest threshold available for electricians when it comes to licensure is Master Electrician. There are actually three ways someone can qualify for this title:

  • Completing four years of experience as a licensed Journeyman Electrician (we went over this license format in part one).
  • Graduate trade school with a two-year associate’s degree, then work as a licensed Journeyman Electrician for two years.
  • Graduate with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from an EAC/ABET-accredited school, then work as a licensed electrician for at least one year.

Master Electricians can work in any setting, plus are licensed to both plan and supervise complex electrical projects, including in commercial facilities.

Residential Master Electrician

Like with Journeyman Electrician licenses, there are both overall and residential options available for Master electricians. Residential Master Electricians have fewer requirements than general Master Electricians: Applicants must work as a Residential Journeyman Electrician for at least two years while accumulating at least 4,000 on-the-job hours.

Residential Masters are, as you may have guessed, not licensed to work on commercial jobs. However, they can plan and supervise complex residential jobs.

Validity in Other States

One common question we get from some clients, especially those who have facilities in more than one state surrounding Utah or the Southwest area: Do Utah’s electrical licenses transfer? In certain cases, the answer is yes.

Specifically, Utah has what are known as reciprocal license agreements with these states: Arizona, California, Louisiana, Nevada and South Carolina. In just these five states, those with licenses from Utah are able to work on jobs. However, for any other state, separate licensure must be obtained before this can be done legally – and each state will have its own set of reciprocal agreements (some have none).

For more on electrician licenses in Utah, or to learn about any of our commercial electrical services, speak to the staff at Orange Electric today.